Thursday, January 7, 2010

What ever happened to full service pumps???


Wouldn't you know it that after leaving Sonja's house at 8:40 p.m. this evening, I notice that I needed gasoline. It was 17º, with bitter wind chills. I won't speculate how cold it felt, but within moments, my ungloved hands were aching. Of course I had to get gas, but I wasn't crazy enough to stand and wait. I got back in my car while it pumped. My car has this "REST" button that will run the AC or heater on Residual heat or air. So I had to drive around before heading to the station until my heat was toasty, so I could run it while I filled up.
I think New Jersey is on to something. There you're not allowed to pump your own gas. I remember when Kelly and I went to NYC we pulled into a service station reasonably late and this man approached us. He was not wearing an obvious uniform and Kelly feeling uneasy told me to drive away(or maybe she was driving...I can't remember). We later realized that they won't let you do self service. Now you can't find a single service station that has full service. I wonder if it'll be the same way with self check out someday? I do like self check out, but will it make the cashier obsolete just the same way service station attendants are?
I think people would wait in line and pay plenty of $$ to not pump their own gasoline tonight! I sure would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment